Frank DeBeer B. Sc., D.C., C. Ped (C)
Canadian Certified Pedorthist
YOUR FEET ARE THE FOUNDATION OF YOUR BODY. WHEN A PROBLEM DEVELOPS IN YOUR FEET, IT WILL RESULT IN A SERIES OF COMPENSATIONS WHICH WILL PLACE INCREASED STRESS UPON PAIN PRODUCING STRUCTURES RESULTING IN PAIN. IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING PAIN IN THE BACK, HIPS, KNEES, ANKLES OR FEET THAT IS NOT IMPROVING, IT IS TIME TO CONSIDER FOOT ORTHOTICS.
- Each foot has 26 bones, 33 joints, 20 muscles, and over 100 ligaments
- There are 206 bones in the body, so your feet represent 25% of the total number of bones in the body
- The average person takes 8,000 - 10,000 steps per day
- The average person will walk over 100,000 miles in their lifetime, or more than 4 times around the world
- Rarely are the 2 feet exactly the same, one is often larger
- Over 75% of people will experience foot problems in their lifetime, only a fraction seek treatment, many think that foot pain is normal
- Walking is often the best exercise for your feet
- Your feet mirror your general health in that conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, nerve and circulatory problems can show their initial symptoms in the feet.